Origi claims he has no intention of leaving despite low place on pecking order

Divock Origi has no intention of leaving Liverpool despite being his low place in their attacking pecking order and believes he is improving under Jurgen Klopp.

The Belgian had actually featured in 36 different matches this season prior to football's Covid-19 suspension but had started just 10 of them.

But despite the forward being behind Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino on the list, Origi has become something of a cult hero at Anfield.


He scored twice in the stunning 4-0 win over Barcelona that carried Liverpool into last season's Champions League final and then scored the second goal clincher in the 2-0 win over Tottenham in Madrid.

Origi, 25, also has it in for Everton after scoring the Anfield winner against Liverpool's Merseyside rivals last season and two more goals in December's 5-2 home win.

And despite the relatively limited game time, Origi clearly has no intention of moving on.

'I am a better player than last year,' he told Het Laatste Nieuws. 'Klopp has given me the space to develop myself. I always listen to my instinct and continue to work.

'We have spoken with Liverpool and we have a nice course ahead of us. I just want to get better here.

'It is a project for me and I want to follow it. I don't know how long I will do that. I feel that I am making progress, so it was a pity that the season stopped.'

Having signed a contract extension until 2024 after last season's Champions League success, Origi was on the verge of adding a Premier League winners medal to his collection, with Liverpool 25 points clear at the top when football was suspended.

And he said: 'It would be painful if we can't get that title now. But there are things in life you cannot control. Safety is the most important thing now.'

But whatever else he achieves in his career, Origi will always have his goal against Spurs.

'I took a lot of pleasure from that moment,' he said. 'It was a very calm moment.

'I was able to connect with the supporters. I saw their facial expressions. It is a feeling that is very difficult to explain.

'[Andy] Robertson jumped on my back, Fabinho joined and Virgil [Van Dijk]. Unbelievable.

'The more days pass, the more I can enjoy it. It's like wine, it matures with time.'

Post a Comment

0 Comments